Sunday, September 6, 2009

2010- Bring it!

And... it's official. At 03:05 PM today, my '09 pool season ended. No longer will I be spending days upon days maintaining and managing a pool. Instead, I get to go to classes... YIPPEE!! (yeah, right)

Though there were many trying moments this year, I've got to admit it- I think this was the best season I've had in my 3 years as a lifeguard. The people were great, the days weren't hugely stressful (most of the time) and, seeing as we had only 2 rescues (which were really just assists), I'd say we had a really successful season. Sure, in retrospect, I can pick out several moments that I'd like to do over... things I could've done better, but hey. Live and learn. I'll do better next year.

In so many ways, I learned so much this season. Not only did I learn about pool chemistry (anyone need their water tested??) and more about pool maintenance (how about diving boards? I could probably fix your diving board...), but I also gained better people and time management skills. My patience was tested several times, so I most certainly gained more of that virtue. And I think one of the biggest things I learned was to let go.

When I was first hired, my safety coordinator told me something I didn't even know about myself. Apparently I'm one of those people who believes in the saying "if you want something done and you want it done right, do it yourself." Looking back, I can definitely see where he'd say that. Anyway, when I was hired, he pointed that out and then told me he wanted me to stop that. I was a manager, and it while I did have more responsibilities and had to pull my weight, he didn't want me doing that. And so, over the course of the summer, I attempted to back off and let my guards do it... things like testing the water, cleaning the bathrooms, etc, etc. Sure, I did slip up a few times (but the tiles were never going to get scrubbed if I didn't do it!), but over all, I think I did and Ok job.

With that said, I think it's pretty clear in my mind that I'm optimistic for the 2010 pool season. True, I'm not sure if I'm going to return to my pool from this year. I've been at it for two years; it's probably time for a change of scenery. But, I think things will go well next season, and I've got faith in my supervisors. They'll put me where I need to be.

So, farewell, '09 Pool Season. You were fun (at times) and made life interesting.

To 2010: Bring it! I'm ready for you! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something you wanna say? Questions, comments, concerns? Go ahead and leave them here. I always love to hear what others have to say! :)