Saturday, June 6, 2009

The Season Thus Far

"A good lifeguard will mostly stay dry, if using prevention." -Ann Lawton

Though it's only been roughly two weeks, it seems like I've easily slipped back into the role of the lifeguard. I've got the stereotypical tan working (sunglasses tan included) and am most likely smelling like chlorine and sunscreen 24/7 now. Indeed, it seems that summer has begun.

Like I said before, I had a lot of high hopes for this summer, and so far, it appears that many of those hopes can be fulfilled. We've got a good group of guards (for the most part) and as of now, it seems like our relations with the pool committee are holding strong. Sure, we've had our fair share of petty troubles (none of which I'll divulge here), but nothing too major had occurred... knock on wood. In fact, I'd even reckon to say that our pool's looking really good compared to some others out there.

Now, mind you, in returning to the world of lifeguarding, I've slipped into some peculiar habits. For example, instead of being upset when it thunders or rains, I jump up and down for joy. Chemical names, first aid terms, and rather strange jargon (such as the term "pushing") have all become regular vocabulary for me. I have a cynical outlook on life once more, find dry, dark humor in almost every situation, work in an environment that's full of unintentional sexual innuendos, and more often than not, I question the intelligence of some of the people around me. It's Ok, though. This is the type of environment I'm used to. In fact, I think I'd rather be a lifeguard than have any other job.

As the season progresses, I continue to have high hopes. Perhaps this will be the best pool season thus far.

Time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something you wanna say? Questions, comments, concerns? Go ahead and leave them here. I always love to hear what others have to say! :)